Archive for February, 2007

Feb 07 2007

Willow and Alder

I was out on a little daytrip today. Took home piece of a broken alder tree, it will probably give me plenty of heartboards for the bowdrill. Since I am also entering the berry picker contest on bcuk I broke off some willow branches for the rim of my picker. I really need only one branch, but in case I screw up royally I cut four.

No responses yet

Feb 06 2007

Fishing Gorge

Published by under Animal Materials

Due to a heavy work load at school and in the home I have had very little opportunity to test much of my new equipment yet. So, when the workload hopefully eases sometimes this summer, I’ll have opportunity to test the fishing equipment some more too.

Anyway, having heard about the efficiency of the throat gorge for several years, I have decided to give it a go. My experience with metal hooks is that smaller and thinner is better. This is where I believe most practitioners fail today. To large and too crude.

I used the thigh bone of a black grouse. First it was sawed off in one end, then halfway through on the other. As usual, water helps reduce the work involved.

Four slithers was made by scoring it along the length in four places.

The pieces are scraped pointy in the end and all that is left is to tie a thin thread to the middle. I don’t think it will slip, even without a groove. The smallest one is less than 1,5 cm long. Hopefully small enough for the small fish I usually go after.

5 responses so far

Feb 05 2007

Skin Pouch Update

Published by under Animal Materials

To make the pouch easier to tie off, I made a lining of roe deer buckskin. The skin is cut against a board. Keep in mind that it is easier to cut reliably in a pushing motion rather than pulling.

The sinew thread is single ply strands from reindeer backstrap sinew. It is twisted like this to keep it together. For longer, stronger threads I’d use two ply threads, but for this project that wasn’t needed.

The small tear down in the bottom is sewn tight with an antler needle. For this I used a simple overhand stitch. For the rest I used running, double stitches.

On the top of the lining I sewed in a short braided cord of elm bark to tie off the opening of the pouch. The knot here is excellent for tying off the end of a seam.

The finished result: A tinder pouch.

4 responses so far

Feb 04 2007

Skin Pouch Update

Published by under Catching Animals

Have done some major progress on the skin pouch today. But I’ll sum it up tomorrow in a longer post.

No responses yet

Feb 03 2007

Skin Pouch Update

Published by under Animal Materials

After having soaked the pouch in a lake an dried it again, the tannin smell is pretty much gone now. The skin has been oiled and was today softened by breaking it in. It takes time. To get a more even result I would use a sharp, shredding object, but due to the risks of tearing the thin skin and that the hair will be out anyway, I omitted this step.

The rough, hard edge on the thicker skin on the “rim” is cut off and evened.

All that is left now is to sew up a hole and a tear. I also want to make a buckskin lining on it if I have enough scraps left. It will be wrung back for sewing, but for this picture it has been left hair out, like it will be in the end.

This is just the tip of the ear. I am also thinking that skinning the whole ear would make easy, quick to make mittens. Especially smaller roe deer ones for children.

No responses yet

« Prev - Next »