Jul 30 2007

Viking Era Shoes

Published by at 5:41 pm under Animal Materials

I’ve been to the Viking Museum Lofotr for over one month now. There I have been making quite a few items which I’ll post over the next weeks. PS! A warning for the purists: These things are not made with stone tools only.

The shoes were made on an evening course run by viking era shoe maker Fanny Larsson (she makes shoes on order for those who are interested). Though they are a little too big for using without woolen socks they are very comfortable. The pattern is taken from Hedeby, currently in Germany, but formerly in Denmark.

I’ve used these types of shoes and my bare feet only now for almost 5 weeks straight and the 2 times I’ve tried on my modern shoes it has been an awful experience.

7 Responses to “Viking Era Shoes”

1. Mungoon 31 Jul 2007 at 9:16 pm

Brilliant! Any chance you might be able to share the plans or at least give a description on how you made them (without giving anything away that you don’t want to)?

Cheers

Mungo

2. torjusgaarenon 31 Jul 2007 at 9:19 pm

hehe, well I’ll try expandinding a little on it later if I get the time. I don’t have any photos of the process though.

3. Sassmouthon 01 Aug 2007 at 5:37 pm

Does the seam continue on the bottom of the shoe and if so are you worried about moisture coming in from the bottom?

They look beautiful!

4. torjusgaarenon 02 Aug 2007 at 7:34 pm

Thanks guys.

The seam over the front does only run down to the sole. There is no seam on the back. The sole is of thick cow leather, while the upper piece is of some thicker leather.

The sole is not sewn completely through, but is stitched in diagonally to not expose the seam to wear from underneath. Everywhere on the shoes there are close (around 4mm I’d say) double stitching.

The top is sewn first, then it is turned and the sole is sewn in. When the sole is on, soak the shoes in warm water to wring it. Finally you cut the holes for the strap around the foot.

Not much more I can say without the patterns I’m afraid.

5. […] a proper view of the shoes, look here. These shoes were made this summer and I decided to test them properly in the field in on my […]

6. Survival Manon 05 Nov 2007 at 3:24 am

I like these shoes alot. AND you know they are going to fit properly. I would like to see more details too!

7. adminon 05 Nov 2007 at 9:09 pm

Thanks Survival Man.

I don’t have any further details to give I’m afraid. The leather is bark tanned, if I haven’t mentioned. I didn’t take photos of the process unfortunately.