Nov 15 2007

Fur Mittens, Making The Patterns

Published by at 10:00 pm under Animal Materials

Having made a pair of thumbless mittens for my youngest girl, I of course have to make a pair for my oldest girl, just with thumbs. This is a natural progression for me as a tailor too I feel, since these mittens have a more complicated pattern. These mittens will have stommach fur lining and outer fur on the outside. The palm will be bare to allow a better grip. for that I will use buckskin.

Making the pattern is the most difficult part of tailoring in my opinion. One rule I learned from the last pair of mittens I made: Making it big and roomy is better then aiming for the perfect fit and going a little too small. Since I’m very much a novice in this, I’ll probably end up going a little over the top on the size this time.

Making the pattern is probably the hardest thing of it all (seems so yet at least). Write around your hand and add at least 1,5 cm extra around your hand for sewing and because your hand is not in 2D. The left pattern is for the back of the hand, middle is for the front, but inside, the right one is devided (because the lower portion will be with fur and the upper without), the lower pattern is the thumb cover. For more details and excellent descriptions of the processes I recommend “Secrets of Eskimo Skin Sewing” by Edna Wilder.

pattern.JPG

6 Responses to “Fur Mittens, Making The Patterns”

1. Marcon 15 Nov 2007 at 11:00 pm

well done, can’t wait to see the endresult
    though the patterns don;t make much sense (the one on the right),
    I guess it all does make sense when you make the mittens 😉
    do we get a picture when they’re done?

if I may ask, what kinds of clothes have you made so far from natural skins?

greetz, sorry I missed you earlier tonight,

Marc

2. NYGUYon 15 Nov 2007 at 11:30 pm

Hey its the NYGUY guest. I found a youtube video with a short clip from that Russian movie I was talking about. It’s a documentary of the movie. They said that they actually had a Taiga survival expert come in and teach them how to make the jaw ax, arrows and bow. You can start watching at 3:00.

I would like to be explained how those wooden arrows with no tips would work. He stuffs tiny rocks into the pithy part of the arrows to add weight so they fly straight. However, the piercing ability of the arrow comes solely from it being sharpened wood. It isn’t even whole wood because a good part of the shaft is hollow pith.

They didn’t show how he made the bow in the actual movie, however they show on youtube and in the movie how he heat treats it. He basically ties it to a straight log and puts a forked stick in the middle of the two so that the bow is sort of stretched to it’s proper form. Tillering could be what this is, see I would know, if I knew something about archery. Anyway he then cuts the hair off the sexy girl and even in the documentary he says that they actually used the hair for the bow’s string. How could you possibly use human hair for a bow string. I heard that horses’ tails were used…

3. Owenon 16 Nov 2007 at 11:16 pm

looking forward to seeing the finished mittens. I’ve been thinking over making a pair sometime

4. adminon 17 Nov 2007 at 10:56 am

Marc, I will post photos along the way. The only garnment I have ever made before are these.

Great stuff there NYGUY. I have already replied to your questions in the chatroom. 😉

Thanks Owen. For myself I am thinking of making a pair of heavy moose hide mittens.

5. Donnieon 25 Sep 2016 at 5:48 pm

Thanks forr your personal marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you coulkd be
    a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blopg
    and may come back someday. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great work, have a nice day!

6. devenir richeon 27 Sep 2016 at 10:43 am

It’s the best time to make a few plans for thhe long run and
    it is time to be happy. I have read this publish and if Icould I
    want to counsel you some fascinating things or advice.
    Maybe you could wrrite next articles referring too
    this article. I wish to learn more things about it!