Nov 28 2008

Busy times

Published by at 7:05 pm under Expeditions and Experiences

Hi folks

I find it hard to find time to do any writing whatsoever when back home. Right now I’m in the city for 2 weeks, so I might as well spend some time summing up what’s happened since the last post.

After the course, I went straight to the city for a week to visit the kids, like I am now. Since then I’ve spent a lot of time hunting moose, though unsuccessfully. I’ve been hunting sometimes alone, but most of the time with a very experienced guy, who has shot in excess of 150 moose.

All I have shot during this time is a duck and a couple of thrushes, so needless to say I’m not on a wild diet at all. The school I work at, preserving skins that I have either gotten from hunters or ordered from somewhere else and making my stuff from scratch takes so much time that I don’t get around procuring much food. I know though, that it’s something I have to start focusing on.

Thomas and some other primitives have been visiting me, they are setting up a wilderness living course in the area of the school I’m working this January. A link you have here.

I have also set up 2 courses next spring and it is very likely that I set up a tanning course in not so long. If you wonder what the difference between my courses and Thomas’ ones are, I’m more focused on the skills alone, while he is focused on the wholistic, society thing.

Btw. Finally my reindeer sleeping bag is finally coming along, skins are being tanned. I’m not going for a super soft, ultra sexy tan, so I think I’ll be done quite quickly when I’m back.

Not been taking a lot of photos lately, the batteries don’t last long in the cold, so some of these photos are rather old. The left one is from a misty morning. Look at all those spiderwebs. The ones to the right are of drying berries on a hide and drying trout in the lodge.

spiderweb.JPGdryingberries.JPGdryingtonsoffish.JPG

6 Responses to “Busy times”

1. Survival Acreson 30 Nov 2008 at 9:00 am

Glad to hear you are still alive and well.

2. sam_acwon 30 Nov 2008 at 7:39 pm

Good to see you post again! I keep bugging my wife to let me go to Norway, little does she know what I’ll be getting up to.

3. Anonymouson 04 Dec 2008 at 11:41 am

good to hear from you again Torjus –
    lots of trout you got there, immediately made me hungry 🙂
    I assume you did not get any further with the earthlodge either
    as always, one can only do as much in one day
    take care my friend

4. Ivoon 11 Dec 2008 at 1:04 am

Good to see you again!
    Nice news, and very curious pic about spiderwebs indeed!
    Hope to join to your courses soon!
    Have a nice winter!!! 😉
    Ivo

5. Greyson Breweron 22 Dec 2008 at 11:22 pm

Well, it would seem that you are almost living my dream. I have developed a deep, burning core desire to live like my ancient European Ancestors, the only problem being that I live in the United States. Florida to be exact. I don’t know what to do with myself, because I have never gotten the chance to develop and hone the skills needed to do such an undertaking and also No bloody clue where to go to GET the practical knowledge needed to survive. What’s funny is I stumbled upon your site quite by accident. You probably don’t care, but I’m going to go a little into my ancestry real quick to show you why I took a special interest to your site.

I’m a European mutt, Genealogically, with a mix of English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Prussian German, and Chinese added later. HOWEVER, what matters is that I feel closest to my Scottish ancestry. On this side, My Primary Clan decent is from Sutherland. you probably know this, but that clan derives it’s name from what the Norse called that part of the land ((Sudrland)). It is highly likely that I have Norse lineage as well, but I am not positive of that. What I DO know is that my Ancestors were in contact with the Norse. To be honest, I feel that the “Viking” Culture is more what I can claim and be familiar with. That’s why I find what you’re doing fascinating and really makes me just a little envious. Alas, I am poor and young, and at a loss. If you could suggest anything that can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Greyson