Mar 13 2009

My Laika

Published by at 4:15 pm under Uncategorized

Been a long time since last post. I’ve been doing a lot of different stuff. I’m not going to write it all, just sum it up.

A german primitive called Thomas, a British guy called Scott and me were for 2 weeks up in some mountains. Not much success in trapping, but we caught 3 kilo trout in nets under the ice. Weather was absolutely stunning (After we were stuck in a snowstorm for 4 days) as you can see from the pictures below. Read the image names for description.

anotherevening.JPGcanyouseethecaribou.JPGclouds.JPGday.JPGdayhills.JPGdaywoods.JPGevening.JPGlightplay.JPGmorningmountains.JPGmovingabout.JPGnetjustset.JPGnettedtrout.JPGnorth.JPGsunset.JPG

After that I went on a trip with some students from the school which I work at. Yet another nice trip on which we did some ice fishing. I think we caught about 10 small trout.

After that I got my dog. The dog is a mix between East and West Siberian Laika. Very pretty and easily trained dog with loads of energy and interest in all sorts of game. On the day of writing this he barked at something for the first time. Only small birds, but he’ll build up guts for other things later I think. That is how these dogs work. They bark at animals in trees and on ground so the hunter can move in and shoot them. The barking distracts the game so you can come pretty close.

It’s a bit to early to tell on my own part, so most of this is taken from other people’s discription of them. But this dog seems ideal for serious primitive who wants to live off the land. They stay close to camp, warn you about anything that comes close, are very kind to people and don’t venture far from the hunter. They can sleep outside any time of the year. These dogs are direct descendants from the dogs of hunter gatherers in Siberia.

dogchewing.JPGdogsitting.JPG

Well, enough about that. For the first time ever I have set up my lavvo with only stone tools. Took about 5 hours, not bad with a scapula for digging and a stone axe for chopping the 12 poles.

choppingpoles1.JPGlavvo.JPGcampfire.JPGdryingstuff.JPGstoneaxe.JPG

I’ll try to make it shorter until next time I update.

9 Responses to “My Laika”

1. grimboon 13 Mar 2009 at 9:29 pm

thanks

2. sam_acwon 13 Mar 2009 at 10:05 pm

Great to see you posting again and love the dog pictures. Beautiful scenery shots too.

3. Anonymouson 14 Mar 2009 at 4:51 am

fabulous Torjus, great experiences
    got 1001 questions offcourse
    but guess we’ll just see what you share with us
    great to have a dog with you
    not only good for hunting but also for security
    are you staying on one place or travelling around?

good luck!

4. scotton 18 Mar 2009 at 11:23 pm

Hi mate, spot on, things in shitty britty gettin worse, thee dog looks amazing, thanks for photos, im thinking of going to backerdals in august and maybe going up a month earlier to build a stawbale round house to live in , hopefully doing hunting licence too there. which kind of leaves me unable to do patricks courses as there so late in the year, Thomas is going out there in april to backerdals.
    till next time

5. A Friendon 20 Mar 2009 at 5:41 am

My dog is part Laika and Karelian Bear Dog. They are absolutely excellent dogs. They do better alone (without other dogs around) and can be protective in the wild against bears, which is what they were bred for.

Mine is extremely valuable, one of the first generation (he’s quite old) offspring from the original Karelian’s brought in from Siberia. So I’m a bit proud of him, but he won’t live much longer I’m afraid.

They do very well outside, so you’ll never have to “housebreak” him, even in the very cold winters, which is what they were bred for.

Anyway, glad you brought us all up to date. How was your winter?

6. thomason 27 Mar 2009 at 2:39 pm

yeah those pictures turned out great!

do you have some of the ptarmigan snares btw, they might be interesting to include here…
    also maybe some pictures of the stormy weather, that is if you can see anything on them 😉

greetings
    thomas

7. Oliviaon 22 Apr 2009 at 5:45 pm

Keep up the good work.

8. Anonymouson 29 Apr 2009 at 3:43 pm

hey Torjus
    you still alive???

9. Justinon 04 May 2009 at 12:02 am

Glad to hear news of you. Keep writing – I’ll keep reading. Are Laikas hard to find?