Feb 04 2010

Fashion 2010…

Published by at 3:29 pm under Expeditions and Experiences

I am sure you have all had an eventful year! The last year has been one of many difficult lessons for me. There has been times with no motivation and going back to civilized life for some time. Mostly due to loneliness. However these experiences have all strengthened me in my belief that there is no way back. The endless boredom and rutine of a modern job would push me into drug abuse or depression for sure.

A few goals have been modified. I use metal tools for the majority of tasks now, although I value my knowledge of the stone tools and sometimes utilize them if I forget my steel tools. Other things are at a more personal level, which I may tell you if I meet you in person.

There has been plenty of hunting, both successful and unsuccessful. New fishing techniques have been tested with success. Food has generally not been a problem.

Crafts have been made, but the cold weather (was below minus 30 at the camp at times) and the lack of motivation has limited it. A really comfortable winter accommodation is necessary in order to get these things done. Earth lodge was started during the course this autumn, but was not finished. However it became a good double lean-t, that will be made totally enclosed next year.

This brings me to American bushman’s request about a heads up for this year’s Veidemann course. Well, here it is. ๐Ÿ™‚ The dates are 13th to 19th October. Anyone interested can have a further look here.

The plans for the future are as they usually are for me; fluid and evolving. One thing is for sure: I am going to spend more time with likeminded people. Any primitives that want to come for a visit or have me visiting them at your camp locations, don’t hesitate to contact me. I can’t have visitors for months at the time, but a week or so is ok.

Recently I have made clothing of reindeer skin. Although some of my tailoring has left a bit to be desired these clothes are very warm and functional. For the mittens I used instructions from “Secrets of Eskimo Skin Sewing” by Edna Wilder. Made patterns from birch bark. The shoes are a mix between traditional Norwegian ski shoes and Saami shoes. The parka was adapted (made some minor changes) from Tamarack Song’s article in Wilderness Way Magazine (vol. 15, issue 1). There is still some work left to make it 100%, but it works more than satisfactorily now. Both the shoes and the parka were made without patterns, freeform.

furclothing.JPG

Here are the softening tools I have experimented with: Artillery cartridge in brass (not very good), shell (very good, but dulls quickly), cannon bone end scraper (very good, energy efficient, but dulls quickly)ย  hafted stone scraper (quite good, energy efficient, but requires a beam).

scrapingtools.JPG

11 Responses to “Fashion 2010…”

1. sam_acwon 04 Feb 2010 at 7:27 pm

Great to here from you again Torjus!!!
    Hope to see you posting on here from time to time again.
    The parka and boots look to be very warm

2. Anonymouson 04 Feb 2010 at 8:42 pm

WOW that parka and boots look fabulous
    not to mention the hair!
    you must be extremely successfull with the local ladies ๐Ÿ˜‰
    no seriously, that is really very warm and comfortable from what it looks like
    has been too long not to hear new from you on the website here
    glad you are back!

would be very interested to see the progress on the earthlodge as you described!!

take care,
    talk to you in mail

nwmyw

3. Anonymouson 10 Feb 2010 at 3:20 am

Great blog!!! donยดt give in! itยดs amazing what you do and also good to have you back!

4. Survival Acreson 17 Feb 2010 at 6:23 am

Great to hear that you are still alive, thought you dropped off the face of the Earth!

This may not fit into your chosen lifestyle, but it’d be great for the rest of us land dwellers to see an update or two from your forest retreat. Ever think about getting a Blackberry or something? I know this flies in the face of what you’re doing, so don’t shoot the messenger.

5. Torjus Gaarenon 17 Feb 2010 at 11:35 am

Hi guys! ๐Ÿ˜€

SA
    I have been considering such a thing in order to keep the blog going, however these things tend to not last very long. I can always protect them against moisture, the problem is charging the battery. And the battery is especially a problem in the cold, since it doesn’t last long then.

I wonder how people filming in the arctic keep their batteries from going out? Anyone knows?

6. Survival Acreson 18 Feb 2010 at 7:09 am

A portable solar panel is one option. There are also simple crank devices you can use to charge cell phones, laptops and such like. Nowdays, there are a fair number of choices. The main thing would be signal — can you get a decent signal to upload to the Internet? I think cell phones with this capability would work (with a decent keypad).

Overall, readers would probably enjoy more frequent updates (I would ๐Ÿ™‚ and figuring out a solution to this would be the answer.

I still think you’ve landed on the ultimate solution for the problems plaguing mankind, and it’s one reason why I’d like to ‘hear’ more of how it’s going for you. The more I read, write and learn, the more I remain convinced that there are but a few answers available to the future of humanity, and what you are doing is definitely one of them.

7. Gunnixon 28 Feb 2010 at 2:44 pm

I’ve also lived outdoors a bit. 1 year in a small caravan, 1 in a sioux tipi and one in a self built wooden wagon. I liked the tipi best, brilliant with the open fire. The only drawback being that it was difficult to dry clothes (in mid Sweden so it also got about -20). Most food was bought in the stores or taken out of the containers, so not as hardcore as you. Like you I find the techniques the most interesting to learn, and have come to the conclusion that for me the techniques and bushcraft are reasonably easy to learn. Life outdoors is very good. The biggest problem (for me) is getting a group of people to live together and create a vibrant culture. Because without it you get lonely, lack inputs and motivation drops rapidly. Looking at primitive cultures they are often very complex, and quite more difficult to replicate then just one of their bushcraft skills.

What’s your opinion on this, do you have some advice?

8. Torjus Gaarenon 01 Mar 2010 at 10:38 pm

SA, I will try to get hold of that stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

Gunnix
    I haven’t tried living with other people outside of society in any extended period of time. At Teaching Drum Outdoor School they have. You should probably contact them. But I am definitely looking for the same as you are.

9. Justinon 02 Mar 2010 at 1:40 pm

Glad to hear from you, Torjus!

I am heartened to see folk recognise the need for groups, gatherings and activity. When filming in cold conditions I use lots of batteries and for larger productions, some kind of heat source is necessary to keep them near room temperature (usually kept in a warm car or vehicle). This if for short periods only. Not sure about long term effects. You could write to the BBC Natural History Unit and ask for their advice.

Justin.

10. ladyhayeson 19 Mar 2010 at 2:44 pm

Nice clothing. How are you?

11. Georgioon 28 Mar 2010 at 1:51 pm

Yo Torjus-

I’ve seen you around the internet a few years ago and I’m glad you’re still doing this and have accomplished much. I’m in the US, and have a friend in Nederland by the name of Simon who may be getting in touch in a while.

I don’t believe there is a contradiction in using metal tools or wireless communication. One can be a forager of technologies, choosing those that serve one’s broader goals. The paradox of course is that for now, we have to use computers to reach others who are kindred spirits. But the unwinding of “civilization” proceeds back down the slope of complexity over time, and you are far ahead of most of us.

I hope you can take it to heart, that very many people, including some in the US, have deep respect for you and what you’re doing. Even those of us who are pursuing a somewhat different path, are learning from you and your kindred spirits.

Regards-