Oct 19 2010

Clarification

Published by at 4:14 pm under Expeditions and Experiences

For the past year and increasingly over the last months I have had so many equipment, economic and motivational problems that I find myself spending almost as much time at my parents’ farm as out in the wilds.

With currently no good sleeping bag, rain clothing and footwear I will need to get money to buy some until traditional replacements have been made.

Also, I am tired of doing everything alone. There is lots of motivation in a group doing things together. I am considering joining one or more of these “wild moons” to see what can come out of it.

I just wanted to make this clear, so that nobody thinks that I’m living constantly all alone out in the forest when that is not always the case.

6 Responses to “Clarification”

1. Deus Ex Machinaon 20 Oct 2010 at 12:10 pm

I’d like to say that you are living the way that I’d like to live far more often than I am. Keep up the good work! I enjoy reading along.

2. Andyon 25 Oct 2010 at 3:07 pm

Hi there,

You have a brilliant webiste with some really inspiring work that could be called art in my opinion.

I know your knowledgeable in this department so I hope you do not mind me asking.

Can you give me some tips for working fallow deer antler. I want to make a few arrow heads and fishing hooks. I am going to use metal tools to start with.

I am in Northern ireland and have been reading about bushcraft and survival skills all my life really, however only recently I have made an effort to actually build on, test and try the techniques I have learned. I attended a course with Patrick Mcglinchey who is a legend and I hope to go again next year and perhaps to the norwegian course. I am alos in correspondance with Jonathan Ridgeon who has skills beyond measure!!!

I have a blog about my journey in learning, which is the only one in Northern ireland. Maybe if you have a minute you could visit and leave a comment. I would be honored.

Thanks for sharing

Andrew

3. Torjus Gaarenon 26 Oct 2010 at 7:37 am

Andy

My tips for you for working antler: Soak the antler very briefly in hot water before working it. Every time it hardens up again, resoak it. Section up the antler, then split each piece. Much easier than trying to pry out pieces from the whole antler, although that is possible. If you want to make it as stone tool realistic as possible, use the tip of your metal knife to make grooves in the antler.

Had a look at your website. Keep up the good work!

4. Maton 16 Nov 2010 at 10:15 pm

Doing things alone is very hard. In fact, I am amazed with what you have done so far, with little or no help from the outside.
    Too bad there is only a handful of people doing this, and they are scattered far and wide. I do believe that it might change in the future.
    Winter is just around the corner, it is snowing up here in Canada and the temperature is below freezing now. Is your earth lodge finished at this point? I am very curious to know how it keeps in the warmth of the fire, how much fuel you use etc.

P.S. The “J” in your name is pronounced as “y” in “year”, correct? Or more like “zh” sound like you pronounce second “g” in garage?
    Thanks!

5. Pitbullon 22 Nov 2010 at 7:23 pm

Hey Torjus, hope you find the time, money and motivation to get back to the wild. Don’t forget about your friends in #peakoil, either 🙂 if you need motivation or a reminder of the diseases troubling society..

Take care

6. Torjus Gaarenon 23 Dec 2010 at 12:58 pm

Mat

The earth lodge I’ll finish this spring, time permitting. All that I need is some more birch bark and then I’m set. I’ll report on the efficiency of the earth lodge then. 🙂

Pitbull, thanks for reminding me. 🙂