Dec 26 2012

Join foraging nomads in NE Oregon this Spring/Summer

Published by at 12:39 am under Expeditions and Experiences

I just learned of what happened to my fellow contributor Thomas. I am grieved, to say the least. I never met the man, and I am not up on the details of the incident, but have a great respect for Thomas’s work. I wish the best for all involved.

In the spirit of the blog, I continue with some happier news I’ve prepared. I do not mean to make lightly of recent events with my timing.

Those of us who have striven ‘live primitively’ know it can be a hard lonely path. Want for company and community is what holds many back. This is why I’m pleased to extend a unique invitation, from a certain rewilding community, to interested readers.

My forager friends and I will begin a long ride/walkabout this Spring, through the Hell’s Canyon country of NE Oregon. We’ll be out through the summer. We’ll will live in the style of nomadic hunter/gatherers, using a few pack animals, dining on abundant yampah and biscuitroot along the way. But we are by no means purists, so expect to see titanium digging sticks, nylon tents, and chocolate mingled in with the buckskin and jerky. This is not a masochistic survival challenge. It’s going to be a portable party, a celebration of wildness and egalitarianism. And we intend to make a splash. Our camp is open to any brave visitor for any length of time. We expect all kinds of company so bring an open mind.

If you’d like to join us for a leg of the journey, bring whatever supplies you’ll need to live in a way that is familiar and comfortable to you, if that’s ultralight backpacking gear, animals and tack, or a primitive trekking bundle. Much of the trip will be bicycle-able as well. And, for you car campers (cringe), some of our camps may be accessible road. We can teach you about wild foods, but don’t expect to subsist solely on these if you haven’t done that before. A good digging stick, or cupin, is indispensable- we like metal.

Our friend Finisia, the infamous Tranny Granny, will be lending her horse packing skills and ‘hoop’ living expertise. She and others aspire to live this way, as a group, full time. They are seeking free use of private land in the area on which to make a regular winter camp. Along similar lines, my own acreage in NE Washington is open as a refuge for the primitively inclined.

Some pics from a similar adventure last year:

Feel free to contact me. I may put you in touch with others, as I am not living with the core group now:
practicalnaturalist(at)gmail.com
5o9–793—5399

-Kyle

6 Responses to “Join foraging nomads in NE Oregon this Spring/Summer”

1. Jordan Manleyon 26 Dec 2012 at 6:37 pm

Folks are welcome to contact myself. jmanley86@gmail.com

2. The Warless Warrioron 31 Dec 2012 at 4:10 pm

If you wander to the UK give me a shout!

3. Drewon 08 Jan 2013 at 11:02 am

Can you please tell me if you know of any foraging nomad type groups or communities in Canada that i can get in contact with? Thank you for all that you do.

4. paleohakan vancouveron 16 Jan 2013 at 3:03 am

Hi,
    I am happy to run into your site. We have a small group here in Vancouver BC , and our goal to make our own primitive gears for primitive encampment. We considered nomad aproach as our next step. It would be nice to learn more about your experience.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Hakan

5. emergency survival kit liston 19 Apr 2013 at 10:47 am

It may not be possible to take your pet with you to a temporary evacuation shelter.
    Break downs and accidents can leave you with
    no heater, radio, or lights. Regardless of the particular
    type of emergency, planning ahead and having the necessary supplies to make it through the first several days of the crisis is extremely important.

6. BlueTrainon 31 Oct 2013 at 7:28 pm

Sorry I’m so late in coming to this party but this is an interesting blog. Please keep at it.

I think it’s a pity that there are not more places where one can be a wandering nomad like you were for a while, irrespective of how primitive it might have been. There’s certainly nowhere in the backwoods of West Virginia where I’m from. But on the other hand, there weren’t 200 years ago, either, curiously enough. People settled; they didn’t wander. I was born less than ten miles from where some of my ancestors settled in the 1780s. Even then it was not a trackless wilderness and in any case, it wasn’t a wilderness to the Indians.

I lived a sort of primitive existence for a while, though not nomadic. The house was of logs but never referred to as a cabin (cabins have dirt floors and houses do not!). Heat was coal but the kitchen range burned wood. No inside toilet and sometimes no running water. Dress was contemporary, of course, but cheap and perfectly adequate. Much, though not all, food was grown on the property. And moreover, it was anything but an isolated existance. There was a community of other families living exactly the same way. The value of community, particularly under basic conditions, cannot be overstated and of course, there is also the family. There was a one-room school, which I think actually had two rooms. They were still being built there in the 1950s.

I chuckle when I see one writer’s description of people like that as “our contemporary ancestors,” because that was written 90 years ago!