Jul 10 2010

Building Earth Lodge

Published by at 3:18 pm under Expeditions and Experiences

I am currently building my winter lodge. Despite moskitoes, kleggs, midges and god knows what else, it is very rewarding work. Hopefully it will keep me warm through the winter.

The main frame is pine and spruce poles, shingeling birch bark and turf from rocks to insulate and keep the bark down. The size is fairly good, approximately 15 sq. meters floor space.

I’ll probably not finish it completely until August.

8 Responses to “Building Earth Lodge”

1. notwithmeyouwonton 11 Jul 2010 at 2:01 am

fabulous! more pics!!
    how deep is it below ground level?
    interesting model – reminds me a bit of those finish models that are on paleo
    good luck!

2. Tomon 12 Jul 2010 at 3:42 am

Looks like you’re using some silver birch there. Doesn’t that rot rather quickly?

3. Jonon 12 Jul 2010 at 11:49 am

I love it!! Was a really nice suprise to come onto your website and see this addition! Keep it up! Well done!

Talk soon

Jon

4. Torjus Gaarenon 12 Jul 2010 at 12:45 pm

Thanks guys

Tom
    It is downy birch, not silver birch. I have had pieces of birch bark laying on the ground for 10 years with no signs of deterioration, so that’s the least of my concern. 🙂

5. notwithmeyouwonton 14 Jul 2010 at 12:10 am

@Torjus, maybe it s the pics but it did look as of you did not remove all the bark from all the logs. Not sure if that is correct. Did you use ‘black gold’ to make sure the wood stays good longer?

@Jon, when will we see an earthlodge form your hand? 🙂

6. Torjus Gaarenon 14 Jul 2010 at 8:57 am

Marc

I didn’t remove the bark from all the logs to save time and work. And I didn’t use any treatments on the wood. This lodge is 100% natural except for whatever was used in producing the axes used to cut the wood.

7. notwithmeyouwonton 14 Jul 2010 at 10:50 pm

Torjus,

but isnt this risky considering rotting of the wood?
    isn;t it better to have them cleared of bark and impregnated with tar?
    just askin cuz you surely know better about these things…

8. Anonymouson 24 Jul 2010 at 2:59 am

Torjus,

Nice looking shelter. Was wondering how you are going to deal with the smoke inside of it. Just a fire pit in the middle and a smoke hole? Some kind of fireplace with a chimney…?